Just In Case – A Fire – Afire
I was looking back at some older posts of mine when I hadn’t been blogging very long, just to see what I’d written. This one was from December 15, 2014.
So, just in case you need something to read today, I’m re-posting it. At the time of the first posting only one person read it, and she is/was my neighbor. Thanks K! 🙂
Just thinking about fire. You know when you are thinking of something and you say your thoughts are on fire, or when you’re writing something, and it is going really good, you feel like you are on fire with the words pouring from your mind, this is a good thing, right? I guess it is a bit of a cliche, or just a figure of speech, to say or hear the words someone says to you, when you are getting things done at a good pace, “Wow, you’re really on fire, today!”
Everyone knows we are not literally on fire; it’s basically a compliment…I think. But, have you ever really been on fire? I would hope not, and my prayers go out to anyone who has been. However, I have been on fire, sort of…my hair caught fire one time.
It is a funny story, now, but at the time it could have been worse. It was on my birthday, a few years back. My daughter had made me a super cool cake, made from Krispy Kreme doughnuts, covered in chocolate frosting. I leaned over to blow out the candles on top, never noticing my long hair had caught on fire. I heard sizzling and everyone started hollering and hitting me! Well, that’s just great…a great way to wish someone a happy birthday. Then, I heard what they were yelling, that my hair was on fire! Well, it didn’t do too much damage, and we did laugh about it, later. The cake was delicious, too!
Another time I encountered a fire, was when I was doing telemarketing. It was for selling those local coupon booklets. The company promised delivery of an order within minutes of placing one. This day, though, the drivers were all out on calls, and I volunteered to drive the booklet out and collect the money…but, it was to the next little town over. I knew I could do it, though, and I hurried over there. When I got to the house and knocked at the door, no one answered. The main door was open, just a screen there, and I could see the lady. She was asleep on the couch. The only thing was, was something was on fire in her kitchen! Smoke was coming out of there, and I kept hollering for her to wake up. Finally, she did, and ran in there to put it out. She was happy I came by when I did. I collected the money and left.
This next time, me and my husband were traveling down the highway, between towns. It was very seldom we saw a house or farm along this stretch of road. The weather was dry, as usual, in Texas, and the grass was all crispy brown like it gets at times. As we passed along, we saw a small wildfire just getting started, out in these people’s field, coming closer to their house. The lady of the place was frantically trying to smother the fire with a blanket, but needed help. We pulled over, jumped out of the car, and helped her put it out. A couple of more passersby did the same. Glad we were able to help.
Well, another time, I did catch the stove in our government housing afire. I forgot the cinnamon toast in the broiler, and it went up in flames. I called the fire department, who came with sirens and lights. The whole neighborhood came out to watch. Our stove was toast! Kaput! There was a write up in the newspaper about it, later, and was a bit embarrassing that my lack of focus concerning bread in the oven (a bad habit of mine) had caused such a commotion.
Those are the fiery thoughts I had today. Hope you have had better luck with fire!
Thanks for visiting! Peace ☮️
© 2018 BS