Throwback Thursday – Reading
This week Maggie asks us some questions about our reading experiences. Thanks, Maggie!
- Who were the readers in your family?
- Were there some people who did not like to read or could not read?
- Did your family subscribe to the newspaper?
- If you did get the paper, was your Sunday newspaper considered special? What part did you enjoy?
- Did your home have books strewn around? Hardbacks or paperbacks?
- Did you frequent the library at school?
- How about the local community library? Did you have a library card?
- What was the first book you remember reading?
- Did you have a collection of books (Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Happy Hollisters, etc?)
- Did you read comic books? If so, what titles?
- Did you end up a bookworm, a casual reader, or someone who read only when required?
- Is there a book from your childhood you would like to read again? If so, what book?
- What book or books have been extremely meaningful or influential in your life?
- BONUS QUESTION: What book(s) do you frequently gift to others? Why?
1. In our family everyone was always reading something.
2. I never heard of anyone in our family that couldn’t read.
3. Yes, we had the local newspaper delivered every day.
4. The Sunday paper was bigger, and had the comics. I always liked those, and I probably read the headlines of the front page, and looked at some of the lifestyle section.
5. We did have books in the house, both hardback and paperback ones. We had an encyclopedia set, and a children’s set, too.
6. I always went to the school’s library in all grades. In Jr. High, I did work in the library, classifying, shelving, checking out books to people, putting dust covers on books, etc. Then in high school I did the same thing, and even held an office in the library club.
7. I had a children’s library card and couldn’t wait until I got the adult library card. I’ve always had one in every city we moved to, even overseas.
8. The first book I remember reading is “The Three Billy Goats Gruff”. I actually still have it.
9. I had a lot of books, maybe not a collection, but a lot. I would get the Trixie Beldon books. Earlier on we got a whole box of little Golden Books as a gift from a neighbor.
10. I read quite a few comic books. Not superheroes. Mostly Archie, Caspar the Friendly Ghost, Donald Duck, and those kinds.
11. I was a bookworm from the get go, and I still am.
12. Oh, I don’t know, maybe the Black Stallion series (I was obsessed with horses at the time)
13. I just read for pleasure, no great insights. I read all kinds, from non-fiction, fiction, horror, and everything in between. Some make me laugh, some make me cry, and some are just interesting.
14. I don’t gift books to other people. I might say to them what book I liked, then they can get it or not. People’s taste in books are so different, I couldn’t begin to know what they’d like. I have given gift cards though, so they can pick out what book they’d want.
This is my Three Billy Goats Gruff book I’ve had forever, and the first one I could read by myself. Then I passed it on to my cousin when he was little, then it was back to me so my girls could read it, too.
Thanks for visiting! Peace ☮️
© 2022 BS